Kick the Post-Long Weekend Doldrums
The 3 day weekend is the loophole of the 5 day work week. However, it can be both a blessing and a curse. If you spent the weekend staying up late, consuming copious amounts of your social lubricant of choice and exercising your right to party like its 1999 perhaps you didn’t look as sparkly as usual on this Tuesday morning. Here are a few tips to ensure you don’t look like you had the weekend of a 21 year old on Monday (or Tuesday) morning.
1. Ice is Your Friend. While late nights, alcohol and sleeping strange hours can cause your face to puff up like a marshmallow, running an ice cube over it can decrease swelling and redness. If ice is impractical, you can use frozen vegetables (peas conform to the angles of your face nicely) or a couple of frozen spoons over your eyelids.
2. Makeup tricks. Pulling your hair into a high, tight ponytail provides an instant facelift, giving the appearance that you are more awake and alert. Additionally, gold or translucent colors on your brow bone lift up the eyelid and create artificial vibrancy. Avoid using lower lid eyeliner; it can make your eyes appear droopy when you are already tired while eye makeup with red undertones plays up even slightly bloodshot eyes.
3. Dress the Part. Distract co-workers and clients with a great outfit and skin complimenting shades. If your clothes look amazing, maybe they won’t even notice anything is amiss. You can even use a sparkly piece of jewelry to draw their attention away from your bloodshot eyes.
4. Shower Smart. Showering before work can do more than wash the stench of last night’s party off your skin. Alternating between using hot and cold water can get your blood circulating faster and deliver much needed oxygen and nutrients to dehydrated skin cells. This process brings back color and gets your skin up to par.
5. Drink Water. Dehydration causes the blood to thicken and makes the heart pump harder to circulate it throughout the body – you exert more energy even when you are sitting still. Maintaining good hydration keeps the blood moving easily and allows you to exert more energy on the tasks at hand.
So next time you’re worried about wearing last night on your face, try one of these helpful tips. No one has to know that you are still in touch with your party animal side.